Counting Stitches

Thursday, April 2, 2015




I’m terrible at keeping track of my row counts while knitting, especially if I’m watching tv. Although I own an electronic and many clicky-type counters, I still forget to pick up the counter and press the button. I’ve seen a number of these chain-type counters around and love the simplicity. You place the ring of the counter on the needles like you would a stitch marker and when you come up to the counter, you switch to the next ring on the chain… working your way one row/round at a time towards a charm at the end, which signals that you’ve completed as many rows as rings your chain is made of.

Je suis quasi-incapable de faire le compte de mes rangs, surtout lorsque je regarde la télé. Même si je possède déjà plusieurs compteurs mécaniques et automatiques, j’oublie de les ramasser à la fin de chaque rang pour faire avancer le chiffre. Il y a quelques temps que j’admire ces jolis compteurs simples composés d’anneaux de métal formant une chaîne. On place le premier anneau sur l’aiguille comme on ferait avec un anneau marqueur. Lorsque qu’en tricotant on arrive à l’anneau, on fait un changement d’anneau pour faire avancer  la chaine. Lorsqu’on arrive finalement à la breloque (ici une petite perle et une bille en labradorite) on sait avoir complété un certain nombre de rangs. 



I have lots of findings left over from my beading days including a few yards of this large-loop metal chain, so I didn’t even have to assemble jump rings. It’s hard to decide what I think of the counter because the rings are kind of large for my current project - they're pictured here on a size US13 needle. I'll have to make a smaller chain for the US4-US6 needle sizes I use most. But I’m glad to find a new purpose for old beads and findings. Now if only it can improve my counting!

Il me reste beaucoup de matériel de joaillerie (je m’y intéressais il y a plusieurs années) alors j’ai coupé un morceau d’une vieille chaîne de métal plutôt que de former des anneaux. Le compteur n’est pas très pratique pour le moment puisque les anneaux sont pas mal gros. Dans ces photos ils sont sur une aiguille de 9mm et mon projet actuel repose sur des aiguilles de 4mm. Je compte fabriquer un compteur avec de plus petits anneaux et reste à voir si mon comptage s’améliorera! 

© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.