Cadboro

Sunday, January 18, 2015


IMPORTANT PATTERN CORRECTION: I have changed the stitch counts to rounds 13-14 on January 21st. Please make sure you download a fresh version of the PDF, and keep the corrections and suggestions coming! Thanks so much!

Connaissez-vous Cadboro Bay à Victoria? C’est une de mes régions côtières préférées au Canada, en partie pour ses longues promenades au bord de la mer et son doux climat en plein hiver. J’ai toujours trouvé Victoria un lieu magique avec ses montagnes et surtout ses forêts. Voici quelques clichés pris lors d’une randonnée il y a 2 semaines dans le parc national John Dean.

Do you know Cadboro Bay? It’s in Southern Vancouver Island, a place I’ve often heard referred to as the Bahamas of Canada. Although its temperatures are far from balmy, the fact that it’s often above 0 Celsius (32 for you Americans :) in December, our winter trips over to visit family have always felt like a tropical vacation to me! But all of British Columbia seems to have a magical flair... The forests are unreal. This was from a hike in John Dean National Park a couple of weeks ago.




J’ai un beau souvenir d’une visite en particulier en 2002 pour le temps des fêtes. Je n’avais pas amené de tuque dans mes valises et suite à une promenade au bord de la mer contre un vent friquet, je me suis arrêtée dans une petite boutique pour me trouver un chapeau. J’ai acheté le seul que j’ai vu, un petit béret de laine, couleur beige. Il  a gardé mes oreilles au chaud pour toutes les randonnées du voyage et mon éventuelle belle-mère m’en fit compliment. Alors j’ai pris bien soin de mon petit béret au cours des années jusqu’à sont tour tragique dans la laveuse et la sécheuse.  Pour Noel cette année j’ai tricoté un béret semblable pour ma belle-mère, celui-ci un peu plus texturé avec un point mousse et des petites noppes.

I have a fond memory of my 2nd trip to visit my soon to be in-laws for Christmas sometime around 2002, when I hadn’t bothered to even pack a hat. After a nippy walk on the beach I stopped at a sweet little seaside shop. I bought the only hat I saw, a beige beret. It kept my ears warm for the many hikes and beach walks during the rest of the trip and my soon-to-be mother-in-law complimented it generously.  I took good care of my Cadboro Bay beret for many years until it recently took an accidental trip in the washer and dryer. This Christmas I knit one for my mother in law (which I sadly only just finished and still need to mail out!) and added some nice squishy garter stitch and tiny, delicate knots to make things interesting:








Habituellement,  je suggère en douceur l’idée de faire un don envers un organisme de charité si quelqu’un a aimé tricoter un de mes patrons et désire faire un don de quelque sorte en échange.  Cette fois j’aimerais procéder de manière plus ferme, en chargeant 2.00$ pour le design et versant 100% des profits à deux organismes spécifiques : Médecins sans frontières et Enfants Entraide. J’apprécierais énormément qu’on m’envoie un mail pour signaler des erreurs aperçues dans le modèle. J’espère avoir de vos nouvelles et vous remercie de votre soutien!

I usually suggest that a charitable donation be made when someone wants to give back if they’ve enjoyed my patterns, but I’d like to try something a bit more firm this time: charge $2.00 for the Cadboro pattern, with 100% of proceeds going to two foundations: Doctors Without Borders (Médecins sans frontières) and Free the Children (Enfants entraide). I would also greatly appreciate an email if you spot errors in the pattern or have suggestions about wording or formatting and the like. Thank you so much for supporting these causes and happy knitting!





© Knitbug. Template by Fearne.